Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Court

By Chris
Had a chance to observe about 45 minutes of circuit court divorce procedings this morning. I was there as an official witness, but I guess you could say I was really there to support someone dear to us. I was glad to do it. I'm not big on sappy displays of affection or long reassuring words. But showing up . . . being present . . . standing by someone . . . is more my thing. Having been through some stuff (who hasn't), I remember the few who just "showed up" with me, and how that was more real and lasting than passing words. So, I hope the person I "showed up" with today gets that, no matter the mess, there are always people who "show up." God divines it that way.

It was sort of sad, though, watching the business of the court. The judge was nice enough, and made a few funny comments to loosen up the assembled diverse crowd of filers, witnesses and lawyers (who sat at the front away from their clients talking about football games). In our 45 minutes, one particular lawyer represented two cases. It was all so matter-of-fact. Broken families boiled down to the business of the day. The same questions were asked of each set of people. In these cases, only one of the parties to the divorces appeared, with their witness. Ironically, a group swearing-in at the beginning of the session ended with all who would testify proclaiming "I do" together. One young lawyer was back and forth, in and out of the courtroom, looking for his client, who never showed up before we left. Maybe that was one marriage saved? The judge asked of each case "are their children . . . " In our 45 minutes, on this one day, I counted four children affected. I said a silent prayer for each of them. At the end of every case (each of which lasted only about 5 minutes), the judge just proclaimed "Mr. XXX . . . you are divorced. You are free to go. Good luck to you." That simple.

As we left, I commented that I could never have that judge's job.

No comments: