Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Southwest Flying Geeks

By Chris
Sitting in the airport, waiting on a Southwest flight:

Unlike other airlines, Southwest does not asign seats. You get a boarding
pass with A, B or C on it. A's go first, C's last. So, well before the
plane departs, all the people stake out their spots in their respective
lines, to get first choice of seats. I'm sitting here now in this mess.
Peolpe are jockeying for position and making really unorganized lines. The
plane isn't even at the gate yet, but these folks don't care. Better to
stand in line for an hour to get ahead of me than to get some bad seat for
the 25 minute flight. I bet they get home and brag about the seat they
got. I understand the people in the C line doing this. But, no matter
what happens, the B's and and A's are going to get row or window seats.
What's the hurry to stand in that bunched up line? And, get aggressive
about it. I have a B ticket today, and there is no way I'm standing with
that horde of humanity. They all are practically touching each other, lest
someone get one spot ahead of them! I'll fall in as the last B to board,
and, guess what, I will get a seat! And it's been my experience that all
the seats on a particular plane typically arrive at the same time!
Amazing. Hehehe.

No comments: