Monday, November 07, 2005

I'm A Magnet

by teresa
I think Iv'e mentioned this in the blog before.....I'm a magnet when it comes to the lonely, depressed, poor, elderly, or psycho. If they need to talk....they are drawn to me. Sometimes it's a gift....sometimes it's a curse. Like the time when the old woman called to me from a McDonald's bathroom stall....she could'nt get up and needed me to come in the stall, pull up her underthings and pants, and lift her off the toilet. Come on people...why me? I could have just snuck back out and act like I didn't hear her calling. I bet people did that before I came in. But no! WWJD......that's right WWJD! He would go in there and pull that ladys pants up! These kind of things happen to me almost weekly. Yesterday I told Chris I needed to run to the store for about 10 things. I would be back within 30 minutes. And I would have too.....but I was tied up talking to my friend Inez for over 45 minutes on the frozen food aisle of Farm fresh. It was the end of a very long day.....I wanted nothing more than to be at home curled up on the couch with Chris. But no! I was there, infront of the Hot Pockets reliving Inez's 80 plus years of memories. Eight children,all out of town, husband Lloyd who passed away 5 years ago from cancer, a beautiful 55 year marriage, how they met, where they got married(2 weeks later on Valentines day), his meddling mother from Alabama, how she caught one of her sons drinking because she always made them kiss her on the cheek when they come home so she could smell them, the church her family was raised in, where she bought her and her husbands burial plots(1984 for $3,800.00), how beautiful she was when she was young, how lonely she is since her husband died, the charity work she does for her church, how much she loves doing the nursery once a month at chursh, the little boy Jeffery who loved her and called her "mimi", how he loved him so much and his father was transferred to Hawaii and she cried, how she was raped a year ago this September by the mailman in her senior living apartments, the counceling she is in, how he stalked her and she had to move, how he didn't get prosecuted because they didn't have enough evidence(she waited several weeks to report it), and many,many,many more things. Had I ever met Inez before last night? No. I just smiled and said hello when our eyes met and the rest is history. Do these things happen to you? Perfect strangers telling you there life stories?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess people are just drawn to the "little light" that you let shine.

Gidget said...

Little light? Teresa's is more like a lighthouse.
Chris