Monday, March 19, 2007

“The oldest trees often bear the sweetest fruit”

by teresa

Today was the first day of a two week project the women of my church take on each year.
Easter eggs!
It's a really big production (and brings in mucho dinero).
I have enjoyed the eggs since I was a toddler (especially the peanut butter creme...have mercy).
I mean...one pound of chocolate and peanut butter...with your name on top.
It doesn't get any better than that.
But...this is the first time I have volunteered.
So I put on my hairnet and gloves and had a blast.
I was at a table with 4 other woman. Our job was to form the eggs and bon bons perfectly.
Not too little...not to big.
I was the only woman under 80.
You think I'm joking don't you?
It was a hoot I tell ya.
This one woman (who shall remain nameless) kept walking over to our table barking out orders like..."NO CRACKS LADIES!" "YOUR MAKING THEM TOO BIG(each one is weighed...so I didn't see how that was possible)!" "YOU GOTTA SMACK 'EM ON THE TABLE TO GET 'UM FLAT!"
Every time she would walk away this one 80 plus yr old woman with bright red hair would roll her eyes...and mumble..."I know a place I could smack it to make it flat!"
It was so funny.
We talked about our husbands, children, laundry and church in the old days.
Well...they talked. I mostly just soaked it in.
What a blessing it was to sit and hear little snippets about raising children in the 1930's...and getting in the cart pulled by the neighbors mule to ride to the church revival. Touching stories about much loved husbands who have passed on and the hardships of raising 10 kids all by yourself. And giving God the glory...and seeing the positive in it all.
I can't wait to go back tomorrow.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a great time! I love hanging with old ladies. They are a lot funnier than they appear.

Blessings

Watkins said...

Oh my goodness-you get to be involved in all the coolest projects. Sounds fun! Can we order eggs online - haha! When will they be ready? We are leaving Saturday April 7th -early dawn hours to fly to Texas. I wondered if I would be able to find chocolate eggs this year. I got one from the IRR craft show last year. Let me know. Mel

Anonymous said...

Well Easter is certainly coming up in a while now...and it's great to see people getting in the Easter spirit...and hey for some more goodies and fun also visit my blog on Easter Wishes and Greetings sometime and check out all that i've posted there!!!

Anonymous said...

You make everything sound like so much fun, Teresa. Now I wish I could be there with you instead of working.

I know who the redhead is.

I want one of eggs with the chocolate inside. I've never tried one of those before.

Musings of a Housewife said...

YUM SCRUM!!!