Saturday, September 15, 2007

After Dad

by teresa

It is unfathomable.
You are ...enjoying...laughing....living on Tuesday.....and in the ground on Friday.

Katy and I talked about how...from now on everything in our lives will be in relation to Dad's passing.
When referring to events..it will be noted that it happened...after Dad.

She said Dad would call he and say.."TURN IT ON CHANNEL 27 QUICK!"
She would and he would say..."do you know the name of that actor?"
She would guess...and be wrong.
He would say..."Teresa Jean would know."
He'd then call me directing me to the same channel.
I would of course know the actors name.
For some reason my dad and I shared a freakish memory of all movie trivia.
He could never stump me....though he tried.

The funeral was incredible. His story was told....and people were touched.
Many were heard afterward promising God and those around them that they will be at church on Sunday...and get their lives straight. Because let me tell you people....if Jimmy Allen can do it.....ANYBODY CAN DO IT!
He had a conversation with our Pastor when our churches new parking lot was installed not to long ago.
He said...one day soon...that parking lot will be full.
Yesterday....his dream of filling it up came to pass.
All there to honor him.

On a funny note (if there ever can be a funny note again):
Chris remarked about how funny it is that when a man dies of a HEART ATTACK.....people bring a bunch of fried chicken, potato salad, barbecue and other fried artery clogging food to his home for his family to eat.
I'm not saying I don't appreciate it....cause I appreciated a couple of plates full yesterday. But, it's just ironic.

My hampers haven't been touched since Tuesday.
My washer and dryer have cobwebs on them.
I haven't had this much laundry to do since the hurricane came and knocked out our power for 2 weeks.

Before I start the day....I wanted to remember my friend Melanie (from Moms in Touch and bible club) and her family. Her mother passed away yesterday morning...and their family needs prayer and comfort to get through this hard time.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Still praying.

Blessings
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Melanie...if you are reading this, my prayers are going up for you during this time of great loss. I know God will comfort you as only He can do and your pain will lessen every day.

Anonymous said...

I'll gladly do your laundry! Sorry I didn't think of it. I'll be over today (Sunday) to take care of it.
Things will certainly be different now. God will comfort you, and, in time the crushing grief you feel now will ease. The good memories (and there are many) will help ease the pain. From now on, things will be viewed in terms of how Jimmy would feel about them, what he would add to them, or have to say about them. I doubt I'll ever make another sweet potato casserole without thinking of Jimmy.

Anonymous said...

for Melanie:
Melanie,
I'm praying for you and your family at this very difficult time. There's nothing like the emptiness we feel God takes a parent home to be with Him. I pray God's peace and comfort will strengthen you at this time.

Musings of a Housewife said...

Oh no Teresa! I'm so sorry to hear of this. O my goodness, it sounds so sudden. Horrible. (((((Hug))))) You sound like you're managing. I hope you find support through your family and peace through Christ as you work through your grief and loss. ((((Hug))))