Friday, September 07, 2007

It's so hard to say sorry...

by teresa

An amazing thing has happened.
My sons are friends again.
Not all the time....mind you.
But even for a few minutes a day, this is an amazing thing.
I give "going back to school" the credit.
By the end of the summer...they had just been together for waaaaay to long.
And there was not a minute of August that one (or both) of them wasn't in trouble for doing or saying something bad to the other.
Now that school is in they don't see much of each other. After school they are either doing homework or at soccer practices. So for the few minutes their paths cross...it's all buddy buddy around here.
Absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder!
By the end of the summer...Ben was so grumpy and stir crazy that he was even at odds with Chris and I most of the time.
I thought I would share something sweet with you.
Last week he had done something to get sent to his room by Chris. After a while up there pouting I saw him sneak a note down...stick it on the stairs and run back to his room.
This is what the note said.
Dad,
I love you and if you love me too would you please let me out.
But you don't so just forget it.
If your still my daddy duck (Chris calls him baby duck) and if you love me then send a note back to me so that I know that you love me.
P.S. I'm sorry
Love Ben


Chris wrote him back a sweet note and left it on the stairs to be retrieved.

Before long Ben was happy ...attitude changed and cuddled up next to us on the couch.
I really like how he was able to write down his feelings like that.
If only some adults could be that expressive.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww ... that made me cry. Your kids are so sweet and tenderhearted even when they act quite the contrary sometimes. They get it honestly ... from Chris and Teresa. We're so proud.

Karen said...

What a SWEET story!! You should save that note!!

Sterling Dawn said...

oh gosh...just wait til he's like 17. he'll really be at odds with you and chris. enjoy the sweetness while you can. cohen can be a nightmare, but i guess that's just young male syndrome kicking in. ha!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Ben and Nick are friends again, but I guess it's normal for them to argue and pick on each other. Jim and I never did but, although I really don't remember it, Moma said I used to act like John was hitting me, just to get him in trouble, when he wasn't anywhere close to me. Can you believe that??? Doesn't sound at all like me, does it?

Gidget said...

I definitely saved the note. It went right into his file.

Zephra said...

That is so very sweet. I would have been all teary eyed...and guilt ridden.