Monday, August 04, 2008

If You're Gonna Break Down . . .

By Chris

Teresa called the house this evening to tell me she was broken down. Right in front of Ben's friend's house, where she was picking him up. That's never good news for me. I can't fix , uhhh, anything. So, I get my shoes on to pick her up and get in a little bit of a mood thinking about getting the car towed and fixed and all that entails. It sounds pretty serious. Making a real loud noise when you put it in gear, won't move, blah, blah, blah. Apparently, there was a loud sudden impact noise of some type. On my way, the phone rings. It's Teresa. "On your way, go to Advance and pick-up a cv axle . . . ." (or something like that. I know nothing about cars). I'm like, huh what in the world am I going to do with that! Apparently, a neighbor of the friends is on the scene, and has diagnosed the problem, called Advance Auto Parts, secured the part and towed the car (using his all-terain vehicle) to his back yard. I was like, "say what??" I'm instructed: Just go to Advance, tell 'em your there to pick up the part for Mike. Stupid as I am about cars, I actually ask "will an axle fit in my car?" I think I heard them laugh at that one. Sure enough, they have the part ready for me. The sticker says one price, but they give it to me for 40% less than that. Apparently, they know Mike. I don't even know Mike! So, I deliver the part to the address as instructed, and sure enough, this Mike has our van jacked up in his back yard, while Ben and friends are jumping on his trampoline and Teresa and the ladies of the neighborhood are enjoying cold drinks. By the time I get there, the wheel and whole front right section is disassembled. So, in faith, I give the box to Mike, and have a seat on his porch. 20 minutes later, the car is put back together and he's test driving it around the block. Good as new. New axle installed in less time than it takes me to put together a toy at Christmas. I'm thinking that was easily a $600 job and a couple of days at the shop. Mike asked for waaaayyyy less than that. So much less that we threw in a little extra out of gratitude.

I'll count it as a blessing. A note on our front door says "put on the armor of God." I do that every morning, and add this quick prayer before I pull out of the driveway, that I have been doing for 11 years now: "God, today is Your day and I give it to You. Guide and protect us today. Take us where you want to take us, put us in the path of people you want us to influence and those you want to influence us."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ... what an awesome testimony!

Anonymous said...

Goodbye Sunoco. Give me Mike's phone number.