Saturday, August 09, 2008

The neighborhood mower

by teresa

Nick loves money.
He is constantly thinking of ways to make it....or ways that you will owe him.
If I (fill in the blank) , how much would you give me?
You look out and he's asking the neighbors for odd jobs (clean windows, mow, weed, whatever).
The night before last, as I was tucking him in (yes, I tuck him in every now and then) he said,"wake me up at 7:00am mom...I'm going to help Miss Geri clean her windows."
Huh?
I guess he had lined that up on his own.
Last week he gassed up the lawnmower (see pic below) and went up and down our street seeing if anyone wanted their grass cut.
Yesterday I came downstairs and there is a 2ft tall pile of video games on the table. "I am taking these to GameStop to trade for money." is what I was told.
The problem is, he has a hard time saving. He gets $20......he spends $20.
Ben on the other hand still has Christmas and birthday money from 2 years ago he is having a hard time parting with.
Sometimes his love for money makes him do sneaky things to line his pockets.
For example: This week I sent him on his bike to our hair cutting place. It's not to far and he loves to be independent. I gave him a check for the amount and a tip. I have done this many times now....and it really saves me time.
He came back awhile later and headed straight for mom's house. He came home after about ten minutes, just as I was heading over for Katy to cut my hair. He looked panicked and scrambled over before I could walk in the door. Something was up!
When I went in Kai said, "thanks Nick for the 7-11 drink."
Huh?
7-11?
Nick had no money when he left for the hair place.....except the check I had given him.
I asked Nick where he got the spending money from and he said...."THE CHANGE."
What? "The change is her TIP!!!"
He played stupid for a minute...but I told him he wouldn't have been trying to cover up his purchases if he didn't know it was wrong.
Apparently he has done this before.
OH my gosh! I am mortified!
I told him he is going to her house and cutting her grass for free to pay her back for the tip he spent. She lives two blocks over, so it should be no problem for the neighborhood mower.

3 comments:

christincherie said...

Hey, apparently some adults don't realize that tips for getting your hair done are appreciated. My mom still has customers she has been doing for years who don't leave a tip....and guess who is the culprit the majority of the time?? Little old ladies. Yep!! Not the young whipper snappers....you gotta watch out for the little old ladies!! haha...j/j

Mrs. Schmitty said...

OOOPps. Busted. He seems to be a hard worker though, so that's a good thing. My W. just thinks I have a money tree in the yard with his name on it. Forget working for it, he's too busy playing video games.

Anonymous said...

Nick is definitely not afraid of work and he does a pretty good job, too. Thanks, Nick for taking over Grandaddy's job with the lawn.