Tuesday, December 16, 2008

thou shall not steal

by teresa

Stolen.
A glass faceted heart shaped paperweight with "I Love Mom" inscribed on the top.
I noticed it missing yesterday as two classes had just left the Frosty's shop preview.
I told the security guard as he passed my room and him and I went to the two classrooms to guilt the culprit into confessing.
I told them it was missing...asked for a confession...and got nothing but silence.
Then I thought I would try another approach.
I offered the person who catches the thief free "Frosty bucks" to spend if they turn him in.
It worked...but not like I thought.
This morning the kid who took it turned it in to his teacher and then asked for his free dollar.
Can you believe that?

6 comments:

Dysd Housewife said...

Wow. Thats gutsy. did he get the dollar? LOL

Gidget said...

uh...no dollar. He did come in at the end of the day and apologize to me. He was being led by the security guard (who had him in detention all day) and he cried as he said..."I'm sorry for takin' the heart". I actually felt sorry for him.

Anonymous said...

When he turned gave it to his teacher, did he say he took it or that he found it?

Gidget said...

For a minute he said he found it....then when questioned he folded like a napkin. He just couldn't take the guilt.

Anonymous said...

Well lets look at this in a way that maybe will show him not selfish, but potentially considerate... He did take the one that said "I LOVE MOM" so maybe he just wanted it under the tree for a Mom who loves him and may not get any other gifts?? Almost makes me wanna stop by and buy it for his Mom. WOW, where did this bleeding heart come from? The Grinch's heart grew two sizes this day!!! You handled it well!
Merry Christmas,
Brenda

mamahokie said...

Wow. Hopefully he learned his lesson young. My little sis stole some costume jewelery when she was 7, had to go back and apologize and never stole again.