Monday, August 06, 2007

To infinity, and beyond!

by teresa


Nick spent the night out with a friend from church. He went home with them from church...and later arranged for an overnight. So we had to take his clothes out to him. After a nice visit with the parents we headed home with Ben, who was very jealous of Nick's plans (the boy has a Wii...which Ben wants more than anything else on the planet). The thought of his brother getting to play it all day is all he can focus on. I think I see a Wii in our Christmas future.


So did any of you venture out in the massive crowds to buy school supplies or school clothes over the tax free weekend? I had planned on at least getting Ben done....but just couldn't do it once I saw the parking lots. It was seriously ridiculous. Like Christmas eve ridiculous. A $5 savings is just not worth the hassle to me. I think I will wait a few days to go now...so the stores have a chance to restock and reorganize. Is there anything worse than a ravaged store? Empty shelves...or piles of mixed up stuff laying about?


I need to find a new book to read. I just finished A Long Way Gone....and it was a great. What is the last book you read? Tell me...and I'll check it out.

A commercial for a new barbie just came on....and all I have to say is THANK GOODNESS I HAVE NO YOUNG DAUGHTERS. It is called Top Model Barbie....and she looks a bit trashy. Take a look at these pictures and see for yourself.



That is alot of makeup! Lauren used to have every Barbie made. She would yearn for any new dolls that came out. All the pretty clothes and neat shoes. She also loved to cut all their hair off. Funny. I too looooved my Barbies...and my dream house with inflatable furniture and pool. It was the best (and most memorable) gift I ever received. But these new dolls....hmmmmm. What accessories do they come with? Birth control pills and a fake ID? Maybe?

Boys are so much easier. Matchbox cars...and Buzz Lightyear. You can't go wrong there.

7 comments:

Sterling Dawn said...

i saw those barbies at toys r us...they ARE trashy!! i don't understand...

you should start reading the Dark Tower series by stephen king. i've heard it's amazing (i don't know how scary it is), so i'm going to start is as soon as i can get my hands on one. there are 7 of them, just like H-to-the-Potter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you, I've been reading all kinds of great books. I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns and it was REALLY good! Now I want to read the one you just finished. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Oregon doesn't have a sales tax at all, so every weekend is tax free weekend for us!

I hate how the new girls toys portray women. My little girl is still too young to want those things, but I'm steeling myself to be the mean mommy who makes trashy gifts disappear and says no at the toy store a lot!

Zephra said...

Barbie has become very trashy and I can't understand why parents buy these hooker looking dolls for their little girls. I guess these are the same parents that can't understand how their little girl got pregnant at 14.

When I was a kid, I loved Barbie but I wanted all the beautiful ball gowns she used to have. You can't hardly find those anymore, but you can find fishnet stockings! Shocking.

Anonymous said...

I still have my Barbie! She is over 40 years old and I have a lot of the clothes. My mom and aunt make quite a few of them and needless to say they were not trashy!

Lainey-Paney said...

The new Barbies come with a bottle of laxatives and a toilet to puke & poo in.

They look super-trashy. and, thinner than even a regular Barbie! Are they taller too????

Watkins said...

We had so many people give Jamie their barbie dolls and clothes, etc. We had too much stuff and not enough time to play with them all. We donated them all. She may have gotten 2 new ones for her birthday I think. One came with a horse. She got over the phase quickly. I'm glad because I was shocked by the pictures you posted.

I am reading a lot of Karen Kingsbury books. The latest one is "When Joy Came to Stay". It is about depression (and child abuse in the foster system). I read 1/2 of it last night; cried alot.