Friday, February 23, 2007

The belly rules the mind

by teresa

I hate being the food police!
I feel like I'm constantly on the kids...chasing them out of the kitchen.
"Who's in the kitchen?"
"Get out of the kitchen!"
"Whatcha doing in that kitchen?"
God knows I need someone policing me sometimes...STOP and back away from the fudge strip cookies (oh the delicious elfin magic!)
Why do I need to put a locked door on the kitchen you ask?
Because they don't make wise decisions when it comes to eating.
Not really what they are eating....it's how much they are eating.
And it doesn't matter that I buy healthy food either.
Instead of downing a bag of chips and some cookies....they are eating four granola bars, three bran muffins, two bananas and a go-gurt.
No control....none at all!
I was upstairs putting away clothes this morning.
I heard (I have superhuman mom ears) the cabinet in the kitchen squeak.
"NICK? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
"Uhhh...I'm just getting some cereal" he said.
"Okay...I'll be down in a minute" I said.
I figured he couldn't do too much damage. I recently bought those individually packed variety cereals. And not the sugary pack either. Because one kid would open it up...and hide all the fruit loops and sugar smacks and just leave the cheerios or special K for the others. I found a variety pack that is all healthy choices. I figured they could have one box and a banana. They needed these limits because everybody kept filling up my big bowls with cereal. You know...spaghetti sized bowls. They would say..."it's only one bowl of cereal." Those big $4 boxes were only lasting a couple of days.
Anyway...I came downstairs as he was coming up to get in the shower. I went in the kitchen and there were crumbs all over the counter. Muffin crumbs. I figured he had changed his mind and had a muffin instead. I brushed the crumbly remains in my hand and went to the trash to toss them. I opened it and there were THREE empty cereal boxes inside. Have mercy! Muffins and cereal.
It's not just Nick either. If I find one more Nutrigrain bar wrapper in the treasure box under Ben's bed I'm going to scream.
I'm installing security cameras and laser alarms later today.
It's not just for the kids sake...but also for my grocery budget!

2 comments:

Zephra said...

My super mom ears have been working overtime too. The kids know they can not have anything except water unless they ask first. I usually say yes because they don't overdo it but when I was in bed the other day (sick) I heard the sugar bowl lib open and asked who was getting sugar and for what. Sara was trying to add sugar to her low fat milk! She is also the one who used to steal the salt shaker and hide it under her bed for a mid night salt lick.

Lainey-Paney said...

That must be really frustrating and hard.

I only have one child...and well, he's only 17 months old...so i am certainly not in your position yet!
But, I understand wanting your kids to make healthy choices & appropriate portion sizes with regard to their nutrition.
But still, it must be hard on you.

Good luck!