Wednesday, February 07, 2007

errands, snow, sparks and escalators

by teresa

I'm feeling much better today. Thanks for the many get well wishes. Today I will be running all the errands that needed to be done yesterday(dry cleaners,library,post office,Ben's school).

Last night before I went to bed the weather channel said we were gonna get some snow overnight. One to two inches by 6am....they said. I woke up...ran to the window...and...NOTHING! That little green shaded area (on the weather map) was covering us. How could we get nothing? Fiddlesticks! Mary...did you get anything? The weather guy said your area was going to get mucho snow. Did he speaka the truth?

My house is full of static electricity. I can't touch anything without getting zapped. I went to grab a tissue this morning (because my nose is leaking like a faucet)and got zapped. Is that even possible? To get shocked by a piece of paper? Or am I some electromagnetic freak of nature? I especially loved when I put my sweatshirt on this morning and it took 10 minutes to peel the hair from around my face. Pretty.
It's cool to make the sparks in the dark though. Last night I was making green sparks in the bed (no not what your thinking...Chris was asleep). But I did wake him up to see it though. Every time I would drag my hand across the comforter green sparks would shoot out. Cool. Don't feel bad for him getting woke up. He deserved it. Earlier he was snoring (like a lumberjack with a head cold) and I politely told him to ROLL OVER. He did...and then a minute later (while I was enjoying the silence) he let out a loud growl....and scared the be-jeezus out of me. I screamed so loud...and yelled out a five year old's(razzle frizzle dum dum poo poo head) obscenities at him. He must have laughed for 15 minutes before he fell back to sleep.
Just for that I'm going to tell his embarrassing escalator story.
Last time he went to Atlanta...he was in the airport...on the escalator. He says it is a looong, steep escalator. With many people in front of you and many people behind you...your kinda trapped. And if someone at the top were to fall....you would all go down like dominoes. Chris said he was on...his carry-on bag at his side...climbing higher and higher...when it happened. Someone about 10 people ahead of him fell. He saw people falling back on each other and thought "surely it won't reach as far as me". He was wrong. He saw it coming and tried to brace himself....he felt sure he could plant his legs....grab hold of the rails and keep himself vertical. Nope. Didn't happen. Once the person in front of him toppled over he couldn't support the weight. He said his hands were still on the rails....but sliding back further and further....until his feet were in the air and his back was pinned to the steel step. I laughed so hard when he told me this story....I lost my breathe and choked. To picture my husband laying there at the bottom of a pile of white collar's in their dry cleaned suits and ties is more than I can take.

11 comments:

Zephra said...

You made me laugh too.

I get so scared to but mild in the winter because I know I am going to be shocked as soon as I touch the handle of the cooler in the store.

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha! That is hysterical. Sorry, Chris ... I hope you weren't hurt.
Has anyone been on the really, really steep escalator at the Roselyn stop on the Washington, DC Subway? It is the coolest thing. Once when I was working in D.C. my co workers and I went to ride it for entertainment one night. Okay ... I'm pathetic, but it WAS fun.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better ... really happy to see it was only a one day thing. Lots of nasty stuff going around right now and you do hang around a lot of "germ buckets".

Anonymous said...

wow
I am glad he is okay!

That is funny though.

We didn't get anything here and I was up almost every hour with Caroline.


I am amazed that two years may go by with no snow on the ground at all.

Karen said...

You are too funny! I cracked up through this entire post... Hope Chris is ok and you're feeling better!

Lisa said...

I'm glad your husband is okay. That must have hurt.

I'm also glad you are feeling better. I am feeling better today also. I have had a terrific headache today but other than that I am feeling better.

Blessings
Lisa

Musings of a Housewife said...

OMG! That is s so scary. I don't know whether to be humored or horrified!

Mrs. Schmitty said...

I hate those darn things. They scare me...and forget if I have to hold on to a preschooler's hand. I'm the mom yelling, "Hold my hand, stop moving, watch out, here's the end, ready step off!" like a crazy person I am.

The Yanceys said...

Oh my goodness! That is so funny! I can't believe that really happened! I always wondered (and secretly worried) about that exact thing happening while I'm on it.

Though it doesn't surprise me that Chris, of all people had that happen to him. He is the only person I know who has the travel issues he's had.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't stop laughing while reading this story. First the sparks and then picturing Chris as a domino. Boy that's funny. I do hope he didn't get hurt, though.

Watkins said...

Poor Chris - I hate escalators. Jamie and I argue every time we are at the mall. I say elevator, she says escalators. She goes with me on the elevator unless Dad is there to take her on the moving thing!

Teresa keeps us entertained!