Friday, February 02, 2007

Never judge a book by its movie

by teresa
Today is the last day of spirit week.
Ben has been looking forward to it all week.
It is DRESS AS YOUR FAVORITE BOOK CHARACTER DAY.
Now we all know that Ben's favorite book character is Junie B. Jones.
But he was not about to dress like a girl!
So he decided to be Jess Avery...from Bridge To Terabithia.
A sweet, young farm boy. The book really made an impression on him.
He even decided to take his friends to see it for his birthday party (it comes out two days before his birthday). Although, everytime he sees the movie promos he comments about how..."Jess doesn't look like that." and "That didn't happen in the book."
I told him that most movies based on books are very different (and sometimes not quite as good) from the books. And that they have to make up some things to make the movie long and exciting.
He looked so cute in his outfit. I got everything from the thriftstore. $5 for the entire outfit...down to the shoes. Then I went to the fabric store and bought initials and some doodads to sew on that goes along with the character. I got a pine tree button (the imaginary world Terabithia was in a forest of pine trees), a school bus button (alot of the story happens at school and on the bus), a cow button (Miss Bessie the family cow is Jess' responsiblity), a dog button (the kids dog Prince Terian is a big part of the book), and a running shoes patch (his goal in life is to be the fastest runner in 5th grade). If you click on the picture you can see where we sewed them on.


.

The greatest gift is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you the knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable! Good job, Mom!

Zephra said...

I hope my kids get what a great gift it is too. I have tried to explain but you are never sure if you are actually getting through or not.

Anonymous said...

You are so creative. I'll bet
Ben had the best costume in the whole class.

When is the $20 due? How many minutes did Ben read?

Watkins said...

We checked out the Bridge to Teribithia from the library and I read it this weekend. I cried. Then I let Jamie listen to the book on cds I checked out at the same time. She loves books on tape or cd. Thanks for blogging about it.