Monday, February 12, 2007

A Girl Like Me

I thought all of the young girls in this movie were beautiful. The babydoll test...it made me cry. How shocking to me that they would think one doll was uglier than the other. I teared up when the sweet little girl said the one doll was bad....and then said the same doll represented herself.
Lauren never would play with white babydolls. She wanted a black baby...or no baby at all. I remember the Christmas Chris and I scoured Hampton roads for a Baby alive doll. Everyone was out. Chris got a tip from a friend who worked in a toy store that they were getting a shipment in. So we went...and when we got there the woman was so upset and apologetic. She said..."I am so sorry...but all we have left are THESE black baby alives. We said...great! That's what our daoughter wants! She gave me the ugliest face as she handed it over to us.

2 comments:

Zephra said...

One of my proudest moments was when Sara asked for a black Barbie. The looks I used to get when she took that Barbie out. Shocking.

Anonymous said...

I remember that Christmas. I thought it was cool that Lauren wanted a doll that looked different than us. The really cool thing is that Lauren lives that out to this day!