Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Breaking Down the Fence

By Chris

We live next door to my mother-in-law. Have been for many years. A lot of people look at me like I'm crazy when I reveal that, but, honestly, it's been great. So, here's a funny site that only happens to people who live next door to their in-laws.

I pulled up from work Friday afternoon and noticed mother-in-law in our back yard. Which, even though we live next door, was unusual. There's a fence between our yards and it's funny how that little thing actually keeps us seperated. I thought "I wonder what she's doing." I didn't have to wonder very long when she raised a sledge hammer and obliterated a section of the fence between our yards. We had talked over the years about how much more practical it would be to just combine our backyards. We have a huge paved play and eating area. She has a pool. There would be perks both ways. Well, I guess Karen decided that Friday was the day to stop talkin' and start doin'! I'm not sure my father-in-law would have been in favor of such a communal set-up, so it was pretty ironic that the wall fell on his birthday weekend. I bet he was laughing at me from heaven. I came in the house and asked Teresa about it. Her reply: "I wondered what that banging noise was." When the kids heard about, they were elated. They liked the idea of grabbing hammers and beating the snot out of a fence. But even more, they are all for anything that lets them spend more time with their grandparents . . . any of them. So, they banged and banged away. At shower time, they had smiles on their faces and wood chips in their hair. Today, all that's left are a few posts and some serious need for re-landscaping. The dogs hang out and chase each other instead of sniffing each other between the fence cracks. We have regular little estate-in-the-making. Nick thinks this is certainly the last thing that had to happen to ensure he gets a riding lawn mower for this year. And, maybe he's right.

5 comments:

Zephra said...

I think it is a great idea. Like her take charge attitude...and a sledge hammer? I thought something bad was coming when I read that.

Sterling Dawn said...

we need pictures of this momentous fence-breaking.

mr. gorbachev break down that wall!!!!

(and i wasn't comparing your family to berlin and the west)

Anonymous said...

Jimmy was actually the first to mention taking down the fence. Then, he thought about it a little more and decided it might not be a good idea because Shorty drools all over Kiki when they play together and then Kiki stinks. She stinks anyway (sorry Kiki) so I couldn't see any reason to keep the fence up. (I hope you don't mind, Jimmy. Too late now!) I think it's going to be really nice having one big yard. Just can't wait to get all of the pieces of fence out to the trash. I scheduled the bulk pickup for Friday.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy was actually the first to mention taking down the fence. Then, he thought about it a little more and decided it might not be a good idea because Shorty drools all over Kiki when they play together and then Kiki stinks. She stinks anyway (sorry Kiki) so I couldn't see any reason to keep the fence up. (I hope you don't mind, Jimmy. Too late now!) I think it's going to be really nice having one big yard. Just can't wait to get all of the pieces of fence out to the trash. I scheduled the bulk pickup for Friday.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Just realized if you hit "enter" you don't also need to push the Publish Your Comment button.