Saturday, March 22, 2008

By Chris

Breakfast at friends'. Soccer. Easter Eggstravaganza. Watch Basketball. Long day.

Today was Ben's first soccer game and the first time in years I was not coaching the affair. Our longtime assistant coaches took over this year. I'm helping. Feels funny. It's been fun to watch the new coaches step up and do their thing. In honor of our years together, they kept our team name and have kept us mega-involved. Like the elder sage or something. Teresa says: "you know, you're the oldest coach out there." My gosh . . . how did that happen. The other coaches and parents are all "Hey Mr. Green . . ." I'm NOT OLD!!! Cousin Kai's playing baseball, as you read, so no coaching the little kids either. So I'm just ... helping. We played to a 0-0 tie. Playoff spots are on the line this year, so the scores are impotant.

In a rare twist, college daughter spent nearly the whole day with us. She was in charge of face painting at the eggstravaganza. Some of the kids from the pre-school where she works were there. You could tell they were elated to see her and that she really connects with them. She's got a real gift for relating to kids, and its neat to see it coming out. She then watched basketball with me for a couple of hours before bolting for her social scene. I wonder if she was thinking "I'll sit here with the old man a while. Seems to make him happy."

Speaking of basketball, I've watched about 30 hours of it since Thursday. Took off to do it too. March Madness!! In a shocking and delightful twist, Teresa has agreed to go with me, the boys and college roommate and family on a basketball watching, hotel-staying trip this Monday. I wonder if she was thinking "Seems to make the old man happy . . . "

1 comment:

Sterling Dawn said...

when papa's happy, everybody's happy.

or is it mama?