Monday, May 14, 2007

His eye is on the sparrow...and I know he watches over me.

by teresa

Every time I put up a flower basket on the front porch a bird makes a nest in it.
This time it took less than a day for two birds to set up a little love nest.
Here's a picture of momma bird giving me the eye....and the next is a picture of what she's guarding.

I wonder what kind of bird it is? Usually we have little finches...but this it quite a bit bigger. I love how fearless she is. Right there on the front porch. Our family trouncing in and out right by her. She never budges. The daddy sits nearby in our big tree. Coming to chat with momma every now and then.
Update*
I guess momma bird doesn't like the paparazzi. Not too long after I took this photo she grabbed the egg and left.
Now I feel bad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother has a hanging clothes pin bag on her clothes line that a little bird sets up nest in every year. She's started keeping another bag of clothes pins in the house so that when the outside one is "in use" she can still hang up clothes to dry!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad. I'll bet another bird will move in to the ready-made nest before long.

I hope the Moma bird didn't drop the egg when she moved it. It looks kinda big.

Anonymous said...

It's a morning dove, they are good eating

Gidget said...

George...that's awful!

Anonymous said...

Why am I not surprised that Geogre knew what it was ... and that he would want to eat it?? These are great pictures. I imagine you will have new tenants soon.

Gidget said...

We have a new birdy family moved into the plants on the back porch. They made the most perfect nest.
But I will resist the urge to snap a picture.