Thursday, January 31, 2008

It's over

by teresa

Yesterday was the last day of the readathon.
Ben was determined to go out with a bang.
We climbed in bed at 6:15...after Chris and Nick left for the ODU game.
I MADE him stop reading....at 10:30.
Most of that was read aloud T O M E !!!!!
I know...I know....bad mommy for letting him stay up so long.
But I was loving every minute of it.
Well maybe not every minute.
In the middle of him reading...he asked me to read a book to him.

I read Let Me Hold You Longer.

Once I got to the part that says.....
The last time when you ran to me,
still small enough to hold.
The last time that you said you'd marry
me when you grew old.
Precious simple moments and
bright flashes from your past-
would I have held on longer if
I'd known they were your last?

The other day when we were discussing his future bride he "ewwwwwwed" at the suggestion that she be just like me.
Chris reminded him that for a long time he was jealous of Chris and always said he was going to marry mommy when he grew up.
The thought that this feeling left him ...and I didn't even know it...made me sad.

But I read on....holding in my emotions.

Then I got to the part in the book that says....
The last time that I pray with you
and tuck you in at night.
The last when we cuddle
with a book, just me and you.
The last time you jump in our bed
and sleep between us two.

So folks....that's why I let him snuggle with me and read until his little eyes couldn't stay open.
I was soaking it in.
Making memories.
Holding on a little longer.
He's still my baby....for now.
























4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me cry! I wish there were no last times.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! The cry for help almost made me spit milk on my desk!

Zephra said...

Your pictures always make me smile.

Anonymous said...

He is such a gorgeous kid!

All your kids are!


Hey, email me your address so I can send the moolah...

I have it somewhere but Mary is lazy.