Wednesday, February 11, 2009

let your light shine

by teresa

I'm on the way to Target to pick up socks for Ben, minding my own business, when I see her.
She is laying face first on the ground between two cars.
What?
Is that an person...on the ground?
I U-turned back toward Bed Bath& Beyond to take another look.
Yep, white haired lady on the concrete.
I pull in a space and head to her side.
She is moaning, bruised and disoriented.
Apparently her cane got caught on something and she tumbled over it.
I picked up her purse and scattered coupons and chatted with her (to see how well her mind was). At first all I could get out of her was...waterpick...waterpick.
By this time we had attracted some attention and another lady came to help me.
The two of us got her to her feet and slowly but surely made our way to the bench in front of the store. She was in obvious pain (head/shoulder/hip) so I went in and had the manager call 911. Once she sat she told me her name was Irene (she couldn't remember her last name).
I asked if she lived in Chesapeake...yes(weakly)
Was she married...yes(weakly)
Did she go to church...YES! Great Bridge Baptist Church!
Then she asked if I went to church....and I told her yes. "That's good", she said.
I then asked her if she wanted me to pray for her. "Oh yes", she replied.
So I took her hand, closed my eyes and prayed a prayer of healing over Irene. I don't remember all I said...the words were flowing and just felt right. She was responding with hand squeezes and amens. When I opened my eyes there were a few people around (including the store manager). The other lady that was helping us had grabbed Irene's other hand and joined us. She then looked at me and said..."I'm catholic".
Ooookeedokie.
Irene asked me to call her church so they could let her husband know what had happened to her. "Tom can't drive, but he will be worried." So I did.
We sat on the bench together and waited for paramedics. The store manager asked if he could do anything for her while we waited. "WATERPICK....I came here for a waterpick!" The sweet man ran in and brought out every waterpick they sold(arms loaded)....she pointed out the one she had a coupon for and he set it aside for her. This made her very, very happy.
When the firetruck and ambulance pulled up I told them what I knew. Before leaving and heading off to Target for those socks the store manager, catholic lady (hee hee) and I shook hands and wished each other a blessed week.
Isn't it exciting to stumble into one of God's little detours for you life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOw!! isn't it funny how God uses us in the smallest ways sometimes but who knows the full impact of those few minutes of "common courtesy".

Goose bump moment, when you asked if she wanted you to pray for her and she said, "YES". not okay, if you want to but YES she knew she needed it.

Awesome testimony! Shine on!!

Anonymous said...

That little lady was so blessed that God sent you when He did. It's no telling how many people were touch by this event. It may have seemed like a bad thing for that little lady to hurt herself, but God turned it into something good. I'm so glad you were obedient to Him.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

You are a wonderful person. She was very lucky that you were there for her.