Sunday, October 15, 2006

by teresa

Just got the scariest call ever!

We were sitting down for dinner and the phone rang.

It was Lauren's # on the caller ID.

I answered and it was some man on the other end.

He says...who is this?

I say...WHO IS THIS?

He tells me he is "so and so" the executive such and such from Target stores.

MY HEART DROPS.....I CAN'T THINK....SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY BABY.

He says...there has been an accident...your daughter is ok. It was is the parking lot...someone lost control of their car.

I am freaking! I ask...did the hit her??? Or her car?? ???

He then (why couldn't he have started the conversation with this bit of info) says...Oh no maam....she was working inside and somebody ran into her car outside in the parking lot. Phew! Sweet Jesus! Thank you...and please have this man take some classes on how to phone someone with bad news.

He asks if we could come up there immediately....and that the police are on their way.

I say we will be right there.

Then I hang up.....and cry.

I am so thankful that she is alright...but the hurt of thinking that she wasn't (even if it was just for 30 seconds) is hard to get over. I am still choking up writing this.

Chris went upstairs to change and then head out the door to Target.

I went to my purse and got all the insurance info they would need.

As he was about to leave he realized.....LAUREN TOOK HIS CAR TO WORK TODAY!!!

Oh my.

I'll make sure to update once he is home and I know how bad the damage is.

Please pray that the people in the accident are unharmed. Cars can be replaced... but loved ones cannot be.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
Chris and Lauren came home around 9:00pm. He said Geico took care of everything. The tow and the body shop details. They will be calling us today about a rental. The adjuster should call by tomorrow with an estimate of how long they will need to fix the car and how much it will cost. We will have to pay a $250 deductable (which the ladies insurance company WILL be reimbursing us) and that's all.
Chris was told it was quite a sight. The lady hit one of the steel, bolted to the ground cart caddies. It was carried off by her car...then she kept going...hit several more cars and almost hit many shoppers. They said, on the video, people where jumping left and right to avoid this woman (and the cart caddie sticking off her car). Then she went across the row...hit another cart caddie and then slammed that caddie into the left side of Chris' car. The first caddie flew off her car....and into his rear window. He said it was in the window and sticking up in the air.
What a mess!
The woman was taken to the hospital...but just as a precaution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off THANK GOD Lauren is ok. That phone call would have freaked me out too.

When I use to work at Belk someone's car ran into my car while I was inside working. This happened on 2 different occasions. No one was ever hurt but it sure was a headache having to get the car fixed.

Blessings
Lisa

Musings of a Housewife said...

I'm so glad everyoneis alright!

Anonymous said...

Chris wants a new car anyway....
Praise God no one was hurt.