Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

by teresa

I got my first Christmas catalogs in the mail today. I can not even believe the holidays are right around the corner. It is very exciting. I love the time from halloween to new years day. It's my favorite time of the year. Besides the obvious...that it's Jesus birthday and we have church plays, a dinner and gift giving for children whose parents are in jail(a ministry we are involved in), cantatas,etc. I also love the chilly days...gift shopping...family get-togethers...Chirstmas music...wonderful meals...decorations (I put my Christmas stuff up inside and outside the weekend before Thanksgiving)...and memorable winter outings (lights at the beach, snowtubing, breakfast with santa,visits to a nursing home,etc.).
What is your favorite thing about the holidays? What do you and your kids do to make the holidays special? When do you put up your tree? White or colored lights?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colored lights . . . and this year we'll have even more animated displays in our windows (Carolers, Santa and Mrs. Santa, Elves, Mr. Cratchet holding Tiny Tim). It is my favorite time of the year, too. I liked Christmas Caroling, but we haven't done that lately. We should do it again this year.

Anonymous said...

A few days before Christmas my entire family, siblings and all, meet at my brothers house and have a picnic around the tree. We actuaaly sit on the floor and have fried chicken and potatoe salad and deviled eggs and some finger foods and have a great times.

We put our decorations up the day after Thanksgiving. That Friday has always been decorating day. We have an artificial tree and we use clear/lights. My tree growing up always had colored lights.

We also always go to church as a family on Christmas eve. It is a beautiful service and so meaningful.

Blessings
Lisa

Watkins said...

My mom always used blue lights when I was a kid. I have always had blue lights and silver decorations (plus now all the homemade ones from Jamie). We use an Advent wreath and scripture verses to slow down each night and remember Jesus. It is a very busy time. I love Christmas music - all kinds.

Watkins said...

Sometimes we try and do it the Friday after Thanksgiving if we are not working. I like everything done early so we can enjoy it. James wants a real tree and sometimes we have to wait til December for it to last.