Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.

by teresa

I love being busy.

When I don't get up early....shower and get ready before the kids get up...it messes up my whole day. I have no motivation to do anything. To even leave the house.

This morning I woke early and got ready. Once I dropped Nick off at school I headed over to Ben's school for the day. I spent four hours there shadowing a third grade teachers assistant. The principal called me last week to see if I could spare some time each week to help out the third grade teachers. It was fun. I could really see myself enjoying that everyday. I copied, filed homework in cubbies, lamenated stuff(cool), used the paper cutter, reshelved about a hundred library books,put a binder together, and three hole punched about a trillion worksheets.

I like to feel useful.

I even ate lunch in the teachers lounge. And let me tell you....those sweet little school marms are none too sweet and innocent when they are all together chatting at lunch. I overheard several of the teachers talking about sex (specific things) and using it to get things from their husbands or to avoid arguments. Have mercy! I mean...I ain't judging. We all do those things (don't EVEN try to deny it ladies). But it is not to be disscussed at the lunch table.

Ben was very excited today because Lauren's teachers training class visited his school today. She even came in his class for a few minutes. He thought that was great. Showing off his big sis to his friends and teacher.

While I was at Ben's school they had a lockdown drill. I was sitting in the workroom and I heard..."Miss Lock-It is in the building" over the loud speakers. I was confused...and just sat there as people rushed past the door. It got all quiet and then someone came past my door and told me to run in a room quickly. Oooookay? So I picked a room and hopped in. They locked the door behind me...and acut out the lights. We sat there silently until the principal came back on the loud speaker to announce that the drill was over. The teachers all explained to the kids that there was nothing to be afraid of. That they were just practicing in case someone or something of danger was in the area. That way the kids would be protected. I know that this is necessary now a days....but it makes me sad that it has to be done. On a funny note....Ben said he was in the bathroom(doin his business) when the alarm rang out. He was so confused as to what was happening....that he just stayed in the stall and kept peeking out until he heard the ok.

Lauren took Ben to karate for me tonight. Nick pitched a fit about going...so I have him home with me doing homework and reading. I have had to twist his arm about going lately....and I am just about over it. I may withdraw him from lessons. Chris asked me to look into trumpet lessons....so I may just do that instead. Ben will just continue on his own.

Lauren brought home her graduation packet today. It has all the order forms for cap and gown...invitations...etc. She has her first appointment for senior pictures in 3 weeks....and we also want to buy a full page ad honoring her in the yearbook. Which has to be in sometime next month. Good grief is it expensive to have a teenager!!

I must go and make dinner. I've got a rumbly in my tumbly.

*peace*

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I am so lazy in the mornings. I have such good intentions to get up before everyone else and get myself ready but I fail miserably at it.

I always have a rumbly in my tumbly. That is why I look like I do.

Blessings
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are able to volunteer at the kids' schools. It's great to do things you enjoy so much.

I think that Lauren would be a really good teacher. She's so silly the kids would love her.

When I was Ben's age, we would have air raid drills. That was scary. I was sure we would be bombed at anytime.

We just need to keep the kids and teachers (and volunteers)in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

When I was in elementary school, the teachers used to have lockdown drills, but the kids weren't supposed to know anything was going on. You would hear, "Mr. Black and Mr. Blue, please come to the office," over the PA and the teachers would keep talking while they crossed the rooms to lock the door and window shield. I never realized that was what was going on until I was in Jr High and my mom started working in the library at the elementary school. They had a real life lockdown happen while she worked there. Someone's dad showed up drunk and angry about a custody resolution. He walked around campus with a gun searching for his kid's classroom. Luckily the teachers all locked up quickly and the students never even knew anything had happened and the police showed up before anyone was hurt. Scary stuff happens in the world. It's good to be prepared.

Watkins said...

Last year they had a lockdown at Jamie's school and her class was in the hall so they detoured into the gym to visit. But Jamie knew something was different and it scared her. Shortly after, she packed her pockets and decided to walk home. Thank goodness she didn't get far. I think she feels a little safer now that I am in the office or PTA office.