Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Can I see your hall pass?

by teresa

Today was parent visitation day at Nick's school. He was very excited for me to come and sit in his classes with him. I signed up...but told him I was not going to go for the whole day. I just didn't think I would be able to sit through six hours of fractions, the periodic table, dangling participles, the louisiana purchase and 25 eleven year olds blowing their trumpets! So I compromised and went to three classes...and lunch. And after spending three hours with Nick and his classmates all I got to say is....Middle school teachers salaries should be six figures! Man...are those kids loud....and inattentive...and fidgity...and attention hogs...and crude and loud. Did I already say loud? We did visit the book fair in his English class...where we picked up a couple things from my list. I also got roped into working the bookfair for the next two days. Dang. In one class we broke up into two's and had to interview each other. Tell our names and birthplace...hobbies and people we are inspired by. Then the teacher had me get infront of the class to read the answers to the interview I gave. Lord have mercy! The only thing worse than sitting with a bunch of sixth graders for 3 hours...is getting infront of a bunch of sixth graders and speaking.
Tomorrow I will spend the day working the bookfair and the reading room. That's more my speed. I took pictures of Nick and his teachers...but I haven't taken them off the camera yet. I'll make sure to post them later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you get Combat Pay or Hazardous Duty Pay for this one? You certainly deserve it. That's a cool thing, though ... give the parents a chance to see what their little darlings are like at school and give them an appreciation for the teachers. Unfortunately, the ones who really need to see that can't be there. Yet another example of the virtues of being a SAHM.