Monday, November 20, 2006

Doesn't it feel good to get new furniture?

by teresa

We purchased new dressers for our bedroom this weekend...and I couldn't even get out of bed this morning. I just lay there...admiring my beautiful new boudoir.

Our old dressers were pathetic. The armoire was purchased as a wedding gift. In it's hayday it was gorgeous. The two drawers on it have been broken for a couple of years now. Our dresser had some drawer fronts that kept coming off and having to be glued on. The other day the one drawer front came off again...and the next day I went to open another drawer and the bottom fell through another drawer to the floor. Geez!

So off I went Saturday, on the lookout for a deal. Mom went with me that evening, after no avail by myself all afternoon. We found some beautiful things to choose from. It was so hard deciding....but I chose two dressers. One low, long with nine drawers. And one tall with six drawers. They match our bed perfectly...and the knobs (silver) match all of our accessories (lamps, clock, mirror,frames). And they are solid...real wood pieces. Not the pressed mess painted to look like wood and glued together we had before. I couldn't be more pleased. The hard part was unloading the truck (did you know real furniture is heavy?)and getting it up the stairs to our room. It just about killed us....but in the end it was worth it. Chris and I went from sharing FOUR drawers in one dilapidated dresser....to having our own dressers to get organized with. All our other clothes were on shelves and baskets in our closets. Not easy to find....and hard to keep organized. The two of us spent hours yesterday organizing our new spaces and tossing out old stuff.

Today I am going to Ben's school to set up for the bookfair. It will open tomorrow for a sneak peek and then again all next week after the holidays. Can I just tell you that I am getting a little sick of bookfairs? Yes...I said it. This is the third one I have worked this year...and I don't think there is a book out there my kids want that I don't have. My house is a regular Shop Around The Corner (man, do I love that movie).

I am also going to be taking the brochures for our churches new basketball program up to Ben's school today. They will be put in all the childrens take home folders this week. I hope this generates some interest. Most of the kids on our soccer team are joining it. When they heard Chris was coaching a team(or two...or three)...they all wanted to sign up.

I can't believe it is almost turkey day. Last week when I was at Nick's school they asked each kid to write down what their favorite holiday was..and why. I thought Christmas would win out because of getting gifts. A few kids did put that. But most of the childrens favorite was Thanksgiving. They said they liked it the best because all of their family came together for the day. I thought that was nice....coming from hyper, loud, prepubescent 6th graders.

What are you guys doing to celebrate? Are you cooking? What's your most requested dish? Are you going out of town...or people coming to you?

Okay...I'm off to wake the Nickmeister.

I will leave you with this cute picture of Kaden (almost 16 months). I love the outfit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats in the new furniture.

My family is coming here (well next door to my mom's) for Thanksgiving. My sister and her family will arrive on Wednesday night and my older brother will arrive on Thursday evening. Everyone is leaving on Friday.

My favorite dish is sweet potatoe casserole and my grandmother's recipe of dressing. Yummmmm! I am already getting hungry.


Blessings