Monday, November 13, 2006

Sick Goes Around

By Chris

O.K. Teresa alluded to it . . . but there are far more details to the sick Green family episode of Fall 2006. There is definitely something nasty in the air. I mean, I can deal with the lasts-a-day-or-two sicknesses. But this hold-on-pretend-to-get-better-then-get-even-worse thing is annoying. Teresa has been about five notches down for a good little while. Nick, as you heard, has progressed and regressed for many days. Poor thing's shirt was soaking wet from the chills that set in again Sunday at church. Two bathroom trips during the run-up to his performance threatened to cancel his participation in a "stick routine" for the congregation, but he pulled it off between sick waves, before letting it loose all over the car on the way home. Thank God (literally . . . I specifically prayed this) he didn't explode on stage! That would have been one memorable children's special! In the car, Ben was like "eewwww. Pewwww. That stinks Nick. Hahahahah!" Brotherly love, I guess. Teresa was lucky enough to be in another car. "Well I was praying to feel better, and now I do," Nick proclaimed. Great. Praise the Lord. In the driving rain and wind, I shop vacked, Resolved and Lysoled this answer to prayer, none to happily. Ben watched me, amused by the whole scenario.

I have been aching, half-sick for more than a week now. After the end-of-season speech and player awards I had to do Saturday, I felt like someone had beat me up. And everyone was so cheery, so I had to be cheery right on back. No need to ruin the feel-good mojo with grumpy sick coach feelings. Besides, no way I could pull sick hubby and go to three straight days of basketball tournament games. Teresa's slide show was the hit anyway. Very, very, very good. Lots of people said as much. Anyway, medication and denial have worked pretty good for me, especially since the cursed thing was apparently just toying with me for a good week until now . . . but it has hit me pretty hard all of a sudden. And, I have no way to get home from the office with my car getting new brakes (again, Indian River Sunoco (used to be Texaco) comes through, replacing brakes, retrieving and patching the damage of three nails in a tire in half a day and for less than $175. I love those guys. You should go there if you're local). Teresa indicates a pick-up for me at the office is a no-go for another hour at least. And, the last thing she said before haning up is "Oh . . . the dog puked on the carpet . . . gotta go. click." I heard Ben giggling in the background. Dog's got it too, I guess. And, what's up with Ben getting a kick out of mom and dad cleaning up puke? He threatened to get sick at the basketball game last night, but calmly went to the bathroom and took care of business. Typical Ben. Everything's always easy for him, for some reason.

It's all a real bummer. I thought I bought a pretty good anniversary gift, and poor sick Teresa could hardly muster a smile about it. I mean, small-package-and-shiny good. Oh well. She must really be sick, or my judgement must really be off.

So watch out. I bet this thing seems to be persistent. Lysol the room. Wash your hands. All that good stuff. Because this one has legs! I even tried to avoid the dang sicky yucky hex by sleeping in another room from Miss Cough-All-Night for several days, but it still found me. And it doesn't leave easily! Oh, somebody please come take me home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're going to get better fast, Chris. Really glad that Nick didn't ask to ride home with me.

I'm sure Teresa loved your anniversary gift. You're always so thoughtful . . . a real gift yourself.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry ya'll are so sick. That's my boy! Shney gifts in small boxes are the best ... you did good!! I'm sure Teresa loves it and will show her appreciateion with lots smiles and hugs when she's feeling better (this is a family blog so smiles and hugs will have to do). Funny ... I too was praying Nick didn't loose it on stage. How embarasing for a kid would that be. That did happen to a kid once when I was Children's Pastor ... fortunately I wasn't there :). That's so Ben to find your misery amusing. I think life is amusing for him ... Praise God! I pray all of you are feeling better SOON. Let me know if I can do anything.