Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Day One in the Capitol

By Chris

By DC travel standards, had a successful first day in the city . . . which promised to be the toughest because of the need to drive and park several times downtown . . . always challenging. But, made the first location early, easily getting to the office building that I had been to before. Only one circle around the block to find the best parking option . . . which cost me $17. Leg two, across town at 5 p.m., promised to be tougher. Only got us lost for a minute, which is pretty good in this crazy place. The streets sometimes make sense . . . Like going down K Street today, you pass 15th St., 16th, etc. Looking for Connecticut. I knew it was coming up .. . but passed it. The pattern at that point? 15th, 16th, Connecticut Ave, 18th street. 15, 16, Connecticut, 18? Only Washingtonians count like that! I ditch the car tomorrow and will use the train for the next two days. Much easier. With Capitol visits planned, I'm sure to get lost on foot though. While the actual Capitol is easily identified, navigating the various Senate and House office buildings. that surround the Capitol. There are some underground routes between building, though. I'm sure that's not complicated at all!! Pretty neat though is one of the routes I've mapped out that I'll take (some take cabs for this route I'm told, but I'm going to walk it). Leaving the one of the Senate office building, making your way to one of the House of Reps. office buildings, there is a route you can take down First Street that lets you look to your right to see the Capitol dome and look to your left and see the US Supreme Court before passing by the three Library of Congres buildings. Teresa thinks its a little geeky that I get so jazzed about just looking at these things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I was there. I love being in D.C. I'm with you ... I would definately walk it. That's how you get the "feel" of it. It's hard to describe the feeling of D.C. ... must be the power or something. It's really cool!

The Yanceys said...

That is so awesome. I am a history buff and have never been to DC. I would trade places with you in a minute.

Take great pics!!!!

Gidget said...

What??? Never been to DC. Man...growing up here in Va., that was a required fieldtrip every few years in school. That...and going to Williamsburg to look at a stack of cannon balls (lol).