Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Projects are Stupid

By Chris

So, you've seen the results of the latest "project" for school. Not one, but two cakes. Which makes me remember how much I don't get the whole project thing for classes like science, math, etc. These projects never ask the kids to do anything particularly scientific. All they really test is which parents are willing to do the most running around, junk purchasing and, in this case, baking. Now, if Nick can pass a test on the parts of a cell, I'm not sure exactly what decorating a cake based on this knowledge is supposed to proove? Maybe that Paula Dean is a scientist? This stands for the build-something-out-of-foam-and-cardboard projects too. It seems "pretty' trumps substance on these grades.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered this myself. I've worked with many Moms who do almost (if not all of) the entire project. How does the kid learn from that?