Sunday, December 24, 2006

It's Christmas Eve

by teresa
I am so excited for tomorrow. It will be so hard to get to sleep tonight.
When the kids were little I was up late bringing out Santas presents from hiding after the kids went to bed. Putting batteries in them...assembling...wrapping...filling stockings. All the while listening for footsteps...and watching for peekers. Now that none of my children believe in Santa it will be a little less stressful.
I finished up all last minute gift buying yesterday at Walgreens , Circuit City and Sams Club.
All the food is bought and I will be up early tomorrow baking and setting things out. I'm usually up first. I shower and get dressed (cause I'm not trying to be in the Christmas morning video looking like I do when I get up in the morning)....then I start cooking and wake the kids and Chris. As soon as the kids open presents the visiting commences. With my mom and dad next door and Chris' parents two blocks over our house is full in a flash. The grandparents are eager to see what the kids got. And then we eat breakfast. Good grief do we eat! And it continues ALL DAY LONG! Katy and the kids come over after they have Christmas at home. Jackie and George hand out their presents and we all open them...and then at night we go next door to moms and open all those presents. She usually makes some incredible dinner and we sit and visit until we all drop from exhaustion.
Last night we all had dinner at Jackie and George's. They made pizza(and Nick helped) and it was super yummy. Meatball pizza, veggie pizza, sausage pizza and pepperoni pizza. All homemade. mmmmm! George took the boys to his parents to setup their dvd payer...lauren went to a friends...so Jackie, Chris and I vegged on the couch watching Food Network all evening.
After the kids went to sleep I climbed in bed to read for a minute....which turned into two hours. The book was so good...except one of the main characters dies on the next to the last page. I was so sad. Seriously. I woke Chris up at 12:35am to tell him I had finished the book(it is a sequel to a book him and I read earlier this year...he read it a few weeks ago and has been urging me to finish it) and I started to cry about the death. He just laughed and said "I told you would love the book!"
I can't wait to go to church this morning. The kids in their Christmas best...the Christmas message and beautiful singing. Nick and some other kids are performing infront of church this morning. What a blessing to have such a wonderful church family.
Tonight is our annual Christmas Eve dinner out. Chinese food. EVERY year and I do mean every year we go eat chinese food for Christmas eve dinner. My mouth has been watering for some General Taos chicken and beef and broccoli.
When my Nanny was alive and before she got sick....we used to go to her house on Christmas Eve and eat and exchange gifts. Now we do it all on Christmas day.
What do you guys do on Christmas eve? Any special traditions?
Make sure to take lots of pictures tomorrow and post them when you get a free minute. I would love to feel a part of your celebrating. I will do the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are getting ready to go to the 11am service at our church. I am trying to get in the mood. It feels so strange knowing my mom won't be at church this morning. My dad is staying home with her.

My mom always cooks a big meal on Christmas Eve. My brother and my sister will be cooking the meal this year. My church has a 7pm service that is catered more for families with children. We also have an 11pm candlelight communion serive. It is a beautiful service. The 11pm service is the one that my family likes to attend.

I will be staying home with Bennett this year. My husband and I usually rotate staying home with Bennett.

Christmas morning my mom and dad usually come over to our house before the kids come out and see what Santa brought them. I don't know if my mom will feel up to it this year. After we do the Santa thing we will head over to my mom's for my favorite meal at Christmas which is Christmas morning breakfast. My mom (my brother and sister this year) fixes grits and egg sausage casserole and fruit and a few other things. It is soooo yummy. I can taste it now.

I thank you for your prayers for my mom. This has been a scary time for all of us but she is doing better and is on the road to recovery.

Blessings to your family. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

This year, things are a little disorganized as the Flu hit our home on Friday. Church and visiting others is still VERY questionable as I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Fortunately the flu is not the stomach version, so I am still cooking a big italian Christmas Eve dinner (manicotti, lasagna stuffed shells, meatballs and the whole nine yards) to carry on the Cesario (my family's) tradition.

We will exchange one gift each this evening, which is always Christmas ornaments, that really symbolizes that person, for our tree. It is so awesome to see how our tree grows in ornaments each year.

Our family wishes yours a very Merry Christmas and a new year full of blessings and happiness.

The Yancey's