Thursday, December 07, 2006

What's that Smell

By Chris

O.K. I have discovered another neat feature of this nifty river-front room. These huge ships sail right by my window. So huge, they seem to barely fit in the canal. I'm talking city blocks long and taller than my 6th floor window. I could throw the pen on my desk and hit them, they're so close. I remember seeing these before, but not from my bed. They look really weird because in part of the city several blocks from the river you actually lower than the river, so you literally can look up and see the ships going by above the buildings, without actually seeing the river. Some are full of containers . . . others I'm not sure what their purpose is. If one got off course, it could take out blocks of this city. But, they seem to be stirring up a fowl smell from the river. It got into my room through the closed door even. I couldn't figure it out. Then, I opend the balcony door and . . . wam! . . . it hit me in the face.

I am also remembering that the riverwalk leads to many bars. Some patrons a very happy when they leave, because they are hootin' and hollerin' quite a bit as they pass below, if you know what I mean. Once when I was here, one of these patrons apparently ended up in the river and the Coast Guard was flying about searching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very cool. When we were in Cancun the bars next to our hotel apparently closed at dawn, so, the partiers were leaving when I was getting up. Wonder if they enjoyed the sunrises as much as I did?