Monday, July 17, 2006

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you...

by teresa

Well..today started out pretty good. The boys and I played games and watched a movie (Little Manhattan) which was very good! Lauren went to cheering practice until 3:00. I had told them all that once Lauren came home, I was going to run out by myself. I wanted to pick up some things to help me organize the cabinets under the bathroom sinks. She came home and I left. I was only gone about 35 minutes. In that 35 minutes...all (H-E-double hockey sticks) broke loose at home! I had several calls (from Ben) alerting me to the fact that (in his own words) SISSY IS BEING MEAN!!! SHE IS NOT PLAYING WITH US!!! And then I hear Nick in the background yelling...SISSY IS HURTING ME!!! COME HOME...NOW!!! To which I hear Lauren respond...MOM!! I HAVE NOT TOUCHED EITHER OF THEM!! THEY ARE BEING UNCONTROLLABLE!! THEY LOCKED ME OUT OF THE OFFICE AND CRAWLED OUT OF THE WINDOW!!!
Have mercy!! I ended up hanging up on them because everybody was screaming at me. I got what I needed to get at Target...and headed home. I pulled up and Nick was outside up against the side of momma's house. I motioned to him (the stern nonverbal POINT TO HIM and POINT TO THE HOUSE). He went in immediately. I brought in my bags...unpacked them and racked my brain as to which punishment would be most fitting. Then it hit me....THE BOOKCASE!! Remember the bookcase mom got me for Christmas? Well I still hadn't put it together yet. So I set Ben down to wait for me...then I gave my orders to Nick and Lauren. I told them to bring in all the boxes (the bookcase was in 3 big boxes) and Dad's toolbox and get busy. I figured the best punishment for them was to have to sit together for THREE HOURS and put something together! They did it! I heard them yelling at each other a few times behind the closed door. But 3 hours later...I had my bookcase. While they were doing that I had Ben helping me clean out under the bathroom sinks and in all the drawers. I also had him running up and down the stairs for any and everything I needed brought to me...or taken to the trashcan. They are all three sitting on the couch laughing and watching a movie together right now. I hope a good nights sleep (and my prayers) will bring better sibling relationships tomorrow.
How do your kids get along? Are mine the only little monsters who hiss and snap at each other when I leave the room?
Here's a picture of their punishment........I mean a picture of my beautiful bookcase. I even put some books in it already.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see you didn't waste any time finding a place of honor for Harry Potter!

The Yanceys said...

That is an awesome idea!!!

I told Chris I was starting a book and was writing some of these things you do (i.e. curfew and now the bookcase) for when my boys get older and I encounter this stuff.

You need to write a book!!!

Anonymous said...

Over here it is the same way I have 4, 2 girls 2 boys ( AND I AM A SINGLE MOM) when ever I am not around I think they are going to kill each other!! What a perfect idea to make them do something together!!

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten how beautiful the bookcase was. They did a really good job putting it together, too. I'm thinking of ordering a computer armoire from that same company (Home Decorators). Once I do, I'll just wait until the next BIG FIGHT and have them put that together, too.