Friday, September 22, 2006

Back Home and Worse for the Wear

By Chris

Well, I'm back from DC and the big event. No matter how comfortable the hotel, there is no bed like home! I got less than a rousing welcome from the big trip. I walked in the door, and Teresa said "Oh, it's you." I understand. She was expecting Ben, since I arrived just before his bus.

Anyway, back to the trip. It was wonderful. 10,000+ people. I was there from 6 a.m. - midnight. A long day, but I used to do those from time-to-time without much problem. That night, my body was so tired I couldn't sleep. Weird, I know, but true. I used to be able to pop right back from experiences like this. But this one is killing me. Even after a day at home, I feel like all 10,000 of those people walked on my legs. I look like an old man getting around, compensating for my geriatric aches. My voice is even weird, and I didn't do that much talking. 44 ouces of Diet Coke have not even put a dent in the haze in my head. So, when did it happen, is my question. It didn't seem gradual. It was sudden. Wasn't just last year I could pull a schedule like this, then do it again the next day, if necessary? I used to work, go to school, work again and catch two and three hour naps here and there for weeks on end in college and never so much as get a headache. Where did that dude go? I did not give him permission to vacate the premises, and be replaced by an old guy who can get taken out by one 18-hour day! Oh well. Off to write a report about the event . . . Hope I can keep my tired head up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not old, Chris. You just need a little rest and you'll be as good as new. Besides. . . if you're old, then what am I?

Karen said...

I hear ya! I've not been able to come up with a word for how tired I've been post-Celebration. Your description that it feels like all 10,000 of those people walked on your legs is the best I've heard! Your Ambassadors/spokespeople were awesome, though, so I hope you think it was all worth the insane amounts of pain!!!