Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Off With You Too

By Chris

Long ago, I planned to take today off. Marked it on my calendar and everything. Two conference calls made it onto the agenda too, but I could handle those from home . . . while I'm off . . . even delegate one of them out, I thought. I could watch the kids set off in the morning. Spend some kidless time with Teresa. Watch them come home. Sounded lovely. Well . . . I'm in my office now. Teresa insisted. Seems back to school bliss would not be so happy with me hanging around. I realize, and accept, that at some level I am just the oldest kid when it comes to Teresa. She may have a point. I make more messes than I clean up. I do bore easily and require entertainment. Turns out, her excitement about summer ending was getting the kids out for a while AND me. Simultaneously. A hat trick plus one, I guess. And, for some reason, my body was still telling itself that today was an off day . . . because I'm still sleepy at the lunch hour. I've tried to call Teresa, but the caller id is obviously working and she ain't biting. I could just show up at home, but that would probably not be good. Oh wel . . . she's probably out and about somewhere, in an undisclosed location. I'm betting she went to see Kai off to afternoon kindergarten, even though she said she wasn't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chis, from the second the first child is born, the man of the house well, lets just say ranks LAST! When the chilidren are grown and leave home, you think to yourself you can rise to the status you one held. NO!, there are grandchildren, to force you even lower tier of the food (love) chain.

I know not in your house, Right!

Gidget said...

Sorry baby....I needed a little ME time! By the way...I didn't tell you you had to go to work. I just told you you had to get out of here!

Anonymous said...

Poor Chris.

Teresa, it sounds like you had a wonderful day. You deserved it after a long summer. You did so much to keep the kids occupied and entertained for three months.

George. . . we don't actually intend to make you guys feel in last place. Sorry, we love ya'll very much, too.