Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First day of school 2006

by teresa

It's here!

The day has finally come!

Hip Hip Hoorah! Hip Hip Hoorah! Hip Hip Hoorah!



Ben is the first child I had to wake up this morning. Eventhough he was snoring by 8:15...waking him at 6:30am was like a slap in the face to him. He cried for about 10 minutes (all the while I was getting him dressed). The cinnamon toast crunch he found watiting at the breakfast table quieted him down. I assured him that if he cooperated in getting ready...he would have about 10 minutes left to lay on the couch and watch Breakfast with Bear. He smiled (remembering his old friend Bear from preschool days...and finished getting ready. He is catching up with his old friend now...on the couch...giggling and awake.
I must go for a minute to wait for the bus by our mailbox....
I'm back. He did great...smiles and hugs and the whole shebang! I of course took a picture (or 50) of him in his first day of school outfit...and in front of the family tree. Here's some of my favorites...
Hey Beth...remember thet brand new gymbore bookbags we got from the yard sale? Well Ben is using his. He likes how is slings over his shoulder...very cool.
I'm glad Ben has Mr. Lomax again as his bus driver. He is a very sweet spirited man...and Ben loves him. Hopefully he will not have any difficulty dropping him off in the afternoon...remember last year?
Well..I'm off to wake the sleeping giant (The Nickman)...
Nick got up in a great mood. He said he slept great. Last night after I had gotten Ben to sleep (in our bed...then we move him when we go to bed) I went into Nick's room. He had showered and gotten into his jammies early(around 7:00) and he had the tv on (lights off). I told him now that he was in middle school...he could have a later bedtime. Instead of 8ish...he could stay up till 9:00. He doesn't have to be up now till 8:00am...so I figure he can be up later. He declined my later bedtime...and asked me if I would cut off the tv and put the radio on NPR. That boy is a hoot! Decline a later bedtime? Only Nicky! Ben on the other hand had a MAJOR meltdown last night when he realized Nick had the tv on after 8:00pm. I told him about his brothers new bedtime rules....and lets just say he disagreed strongly with my decision. Nick got ready...came down and took about 3 bites of his special K (his favorite cereal) and plopped on the couch with mom and I until it was ready to drop him off at school. Lauren will be taking him from now on...but this morning she (and all the Varsity squad) had to be there very early (in her cheering garb) to greet the new freshman on the bus ramps and guide them to their classes. While I was fixing Nick's hair (major case of bedhead going on) she slipped off to school. I am very upset with her. I didn't get to take her picture....and I have ALWAYS taken her picture on the first day of school! I will snap it when she gets home. I drove Nick to school and he actually laid down in the car as we drove by one of his friends bus stops. I am now officially uncool to him until he is around 30 years old. But I still have my Benny! He still thinks I'm cool.
Here's some picutes of Nicky.
Now I will finish up my morning chores. I've already made all the beds, washed a tub of clothes, unloaded the dishwasher and loaded it with the breakfast dishes. Now I will put away some clothes and dust and vacuum. Then...who knows what I'll do.
Have a great day.....I KNOW I will!
In case I didn't say it before....
TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!!!! WHOOT WHOOT WHOOT!!!
http://z.about.com/d/webclipart/1/0/-/e/1/school5.gif - 7.7 K

4 comments:

Watkins said...

You got great pictures of Ben on the bus - I was lucky to get one as she was walking on. I was nervous but I'm sure she will be fine. Prayed a lot this morning.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad all of the kids did good today. Hopefully Kai will, too. He goes at 11:50.

I didn't see the picture I took of you. It you had the biggest smile out of everyone.

Enjoy your day.

Zephra said...

Congrats on making it. Is it nap time yet?

Anonymous said...

Free at last, free at last!