Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering ....

by teresa


On September 11, 2001 I was driving over to enjoy a nice morning with my sister. Lauren was in the 7th grade and Nick had just started first grade (full day school) the week before...I had just started to appreciate my lazing mornings spent with Ben(2yrs old). I got to her house just as the first plane hit. She was by the tv...and asked if I had heard about a plane crash. I had not yet. Not yet. I was still happy and carefree. My kids were at school and I was free to enjoy my day...maybe head over to the park. I felt safe. And I felt my children were safe. I do live by the largest US navy instillation in the world (Norfolk, Va.) which my father worked (civil service) at for my entire childhood. My whole life I have been surrounded by military men (in my family, church, schools, neighbors). Oceana Air Force base is but minutes from our house. It's nothing to see jets darting across the highway as you go about your day. It's reassuring. It's powerful! But as my sister and I sat there...watching the news...watching the next few minutes of horror unfolding I felt anything but safe...anything but powerful. I immediatley called my childrens school to make sure everything was ok. Nothing had happened here in Va. But I needed to KNOW my kids were safe. I felt like a mother duck...needing to bring all her children under her wings...sensing impending danger...a storm. I stayed a few more minutes and then rushed home. To my safe haven. Where I cried and watched with DEEP SORROW AND A HEAVY HEART all the people jumping from rooftops and the screaming and the fires and the caos. I couldn't even form complete thoughts...just call out Gods name. It was the worst thing I have ever seen in my 36yrs. For days I felt violated and petrified. Everytime I heard a plane I felt like it was coming down on my house. Of course like most of you...this fear passed after a few weeks. Life went on...and we were ok. We got used to the jets passing over our neighborhoods. It was calming (the loud, roaring blasts) to hear. Kinda like your big brother protecting you from the bullies around the block. Now, five years later...I can honestly say that I go for long periods of time without it even crossing my mind. I guess that's bad...and good. I feel safe...protected...healed...proud to be an American.

My prayer today is...That God would bring peace to places that have none. I understand that in his perfect plan, he has granted power to nations to rule and bring order, but I just ask for the bloodshed to be stopped. Whether someone is American, Israeli, Lebanese, Iraqi, or part of al qaida, I pray that God would change their hearts as ONLY he can...not war, not laws, not democracy, but you Lord! We are ALL God's children after all....we are ALL precious in his sight.
Amen

6 comments:

Zephra said...

I pray for it too.

Anonymous said...

One of the things that 9/11 drove home for me is that Heavenly Father's greatest gift he gave to us was the gift of agency. So many people asked why He would let something so terrible happen. It wasn't because those trapped in the World Trade Center were evil. It was because He gave all of us the gift to chose good or evil and those men chose poorly. It's comforting to know that the blood of the slain will cry from the earth (it's a scripture reference, but for the life of me I can't find it right now) and that in either this world or the world to come, He will avenge their loss.

Thanks for your story!

Anonymous said...

I think the passage to which Melissa was refering was:

Isaiah 26:20 "Go home, my people, and lock your doors! Hide until the LORD's anger against your enemies has passed. 21Look! The LORD is coming from heaven to punish the people of the earth for their sins. The earth will no longer hide those who have been murdered. They will be brought out for all to see".

The events of 9/11 stirred up anger in everyone and it was so frustrating because seemingly there was nothing we could do about it. It is comforting to know God will avenge those who shed innocent blood. One Bible commentator writes: "Those sins which seemed to be buried in oblivion will be called to mind, and called over again, when the day of reconing comes. Let God's people therefore wait awhile with patience, for behold the judge stands before the door". God doesn't enjoy punishing those who sin, but, He will.

Thanks for bringing that up, Melissa.

Anonymous said...

Even though that was the most horrible day I can ever remember, I also recall how good it was to see Americans (both parties) join together and so many people praying and filling the churches. Too bad it didn't last long, though. For a brief time, people paused to think about what was really important . . . not work or money or material possessions, but God and family and friends and even strangers.

The Yanceys said...

Teresa, you have a powerful way with words and truly summed up what many people feel.

Watkins said...

This Sunday our Pastor talked about how it has been 5 years. I was overwhelmed by how much has happened since then. I lost my job right after 9/11 and then my sister died in October and put everything into perspective for me. We moved back to VA to be near my family. I felt a peace I had never had before but only after experiencing all that pain and suffering.