Tuesday, August 22, 2006

SSssss

By Chris

Business takes me to Stone Mountain, GA this week . . . which is a wooded, resort, state-park style setting. A big lake. Lots of woods. You get the picture. More on the proceedings later, after I carefully digest the content of an extremely unusual experience this week.

The big news, aside from the incredible buffets of food, came when I returned to my room last night. Out of my window, on the second floor, trees grow right up to the balcony that overlooks a lake. That's how I think my uninvited visitor got in. It's how I HOPE he got in. I went to the restroom and noticed, gasp, a SNAKE on the smooth white tile floor. I thought it might be a toy at first. It wasn't moving. A little strategic step towards him sent the black and grey 4-5 inch little guy slivering in a creepy "s" pattern. I don't like snakes. But, I also don't like calling for help. And he was small. And, I thought he might disappear if I took the time to go to the phone. And, a disappearing snake is far more worrisome than one you see and deal with. And, did I mention, he was small. So, I stared at him for a little while, planning my strategy. No way I could touch him. What if he was poisenous? His head wasn't diamond-shaped, so he probably was not venemous, but I'm no Crocidile Hunter (but thank goodness for such Discovery Channel-type shows that are responsible for my entire understanding of how to deal with yucky reptiles). He couldn't get away. He slithered to a corner and tried to creep up the wall unsuccessfully. His little forked tongue tried to smell some way of escape. I decided to taunt it a litle with a towel. He freaked out! The footless freak wiggled and jiggled spastically, which was a little creepy. But, a good sign: he did not once try to strike the towel. Not one of those types of snakes. On Discovery Channel, the mean ones strike when they're corned like that. Or spit (though I was pretty certain he wasn't a cobra hanging out in Georgia). Shew. So I worked up some nerve and trapped the little guy in the bathroom trashcan and threw him out over the balcony. I'm keeping a close eye out as I walk around now.

Some of the ladies wondered why I didn't tell the staff. My thinking is there is nothing they can do. I guess they could put me in another room . . . but there would just as likely be a snake there too right? Maybe more so since I removed mine? I think I would feel no less creepy in another room.

One person's take on it was that animals are sent in our paths to send us messages. Uh. Alright. More on that later.

5 comments:

Gidget said...

hahahahahahahahahahaha

OMG!

That is sooooo flipping funny!

I was laughing out loud reading that. I know my hubby can NOT stand snakes. And we were just joking before he left on his trip about that new movie "snakes on a plane" and how stupid it sounds.
Maybe they should put a new movie out called..."Snakes on the Toilet!"

hee hee

Anonymous said...

eeeewwww! When Chris was around 12 or so there was a snake in our yard. I called Chris out to deal with it. I told him to go get a shovel and chop it's head off ... he said he wasn't going to get that close to no snake. So he got his BB gun and shot it several times. He said that wouldn't kill it, but, would probably slow it down. I guess it scared him (the snake) good because he slithered away.

Karen said...

Hi, Chris... Leslie told me about your blog. My only remark: remind me of this next time I need to attend a meeting in your Division. I think I might just call in!

The Yanceys said...

Chris,
Only you...

Anonymous said...

That's creepy. I would have searched every inch of the room before going to sleep.