Saturday, August 26, 2006

Who's Car?

By Chris

I am a little up-tight about my car. And, any car that lives at my house. That includes Teresa's and Lauren's. They hate my reminders "time to change the oil? Did you get the oil changed? Make sure they get the air filter this time. That tire looks low? Did you get them to check on that weird noise (noises from cars bother me most . . . you must track them down and remedy them before they make your whole thing blow-up, my head tells me). We have been pretty good about Lauren's car. I own it, officially, but she had to get it together enough to make payments to me before she could get it. She's responsible for gas, cleaning it etc. I drive it occassionally, just to check things out. I showed her how to check all the fluid levels a couple of weeks ago and me and her Grandaddy scared her real good about what happens to a car without its fluids. It's had a squeaky brake for a little while, which drives me bonkers. Take it to the man! I have been saying for weeks. So, this week she and Teresa finally did. Teresa made her go in and take care of business herself (of course, they have it in the computer, and know it belongs to a very good customer of theirs when they look it up, I'm sure). Ends up, the squeaky brakes just needed cleaning and adjusted a bit. Forty bucks, and they fixed a slow leak in one of the tires too.(that's why we're good customers of theirs . . . they don't try to rip you off . . . Sunoco on Indian River Road for you locals . . . ). So, I just took it for a spin to make sure it was all straight. Rode perfectly. But, it was a mess! Bird poop on the door. Trash inside. Cheerleading "supplies." Gas half full. I always tell her that she ought to just fill it up often, and not let it get below 1/2 tank. It's no more expensive that way, and it's better on the car. She doesn't listen. Waits til the last moment to put in five bucks worth to keep her going. So, I couldn't stand it. I filled 'er up, tossed out the trash and ran it through the car wash. Made me feel much better. Now, let's see if she even notices, or thanks me. Any bets?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww ... you're such a great Dad :)

The Yanceys said...

Chris, You sound like my father...still!!! If my car is below 1/2 tank of gas, I get in trouble. And I'm married...with children.

Guess its a Dad thing.

Anonymous said...

Did she notice???

Do my non-matching tires bother you?