Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Boo Boo Helper

By Chris

Got home this evening, ate some chicken and went upstairs to change clothes. I guess that was Teresa's cue to, "poof" , disappear. The boys and cousins out back, no sign of their mommas when Kai comes screaming into the house, sounding like he had gut a finger off or something. "Where is she," I hear one of them say, obviously looking for a momma. I call downstairs, letting them know that adult supervision is within earshot. "Kai's bleeding," was the extent of the next answer. Bleeding and screaming. Scooter accident left him with scraped leg and arm, and a pretty manageable amount of blood. The leg cut had little pieces of the residue from the still pretty new concrete play area in it. "Want me to fix that up for you," I ask, thinking he would say "no, give me my mommy." But he said yes. Little 'ol Kai, who used to never go to anyone but his mommy (not even me, the best uncle in the world). He has been much closer to us lately, and this was a real ego boost for me that he would let me fix his boo boo. Heck, I don't think my own kids would let me touch their boo boos! Nick, of course, wanted to run the whole patch-up-Kai missioin, having already pulled out Teresa's mongo emergency hurt-sick kid box from the cabinet when I arrived on the scene. He had picked out several band-aids and some "No More Ouchies" spray. Kai freaked when he saw that. "NO NO NO NO NO I DON'T WANT IT!!!" he wailed. I told him don't worry, I will just wash it with water. Of course, sensing his fear, Ben proceeded to grab the bottle and fake spray him, to get him all freaked out and screaming again, which made Ben laugh. Ahhh, nothing like a lovin' cousin in your time of pain, huh? With Kai settled down again, I washed him off, and Nick band-aided his arm. Pretty well, too. Then, Ben sprays some of the Ouchie spray on his on hand and wipes it on one of Kai's boo-boos. "Hey, that didn't hurt!" Kai says, all excited. Then, he wanted Ben to use that indirect application method on all the wounds, which we did. The whole time, Kristian kept looking at this all-boys approach to scrape handling like we had lost our minds. With Kai bandaged up, they all ran back outside to play. Without a single assist from any mommies (and, without them even knowing the bloody incident even occurred), we had managed to get everything back to normal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go guys! Did the Mommies ever show up or are they still MIA? Probably escaped to Starbucks or something.

Gidget said...

I just walked next door for ...ummmm a minute. (smiles and diverts eyes)

Nick came over after the incident and told us what happened with Kai later.

We were like...Oh NO!

Did he cry? Yes..says Nick

Did he bleed? Yes..says Nick

Did it get on the carpet? No..says Nick

Is he playing again? Yes..says Nick

Well alrighty then! Job well done Chris!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Chris, for taking care of Kai's boo boo and for giving out lots of love and attention to Kristian and Kai. They really love you.