Wednesday, May 03, 2006

HAPPY 11TH BIRTHDAY NICK!!

by teresa
I can't believe my little Nicky is 11 years old today. Or should I say my Hannah Mary? Funny story...whenI was pregnant with Nicholas I had three ultrasounds. All of which said I was having another girl. We both wanted a boy (since we already had Lauren) but once you know the sex...you get excited...picking out a name...buying cute pink thingys. Before we knew what the sex was...we had made up our minds on two names. If it was a boy...it would be Nicholas...if it was a girl...it would be Hannah Mary. So once we had a first..then second...then third ultrasound we knew we had our Hannah Mary coming! I even cross stitched the prettiest bib with her name on it. You start calling the baby Hannah Mary..even in the womb. You call the freshly decorated nursery...Hannah's room. Then came the day for induction. I have NEVER just gone into labor. I was induced with all three (c-sections with all three too) (stupid wrapped umbilical chords!) After a lengthy labor...and no dilation...they took me in for surgery. If you've had a c-section yo know, once they decide to do it...it's wham..bam..thank you mam! Boom...10 minutes later your holding your baby. Well...they open me up (Chris is holding my hands cause I got that shakey thing happening). They lift the baby out and say something to the effect of.....here's your big boy! HUH? We laughed...thinking the doctors were teasing. The anesthesiologist looks at us funny and says....you did know it was a boy...right? Chris and I look at each other....smile (bigger and better then I have ever smiled in my whole entire life) and said....Nick! I swear...it was the absolute coolest moment EVER!! It's like running downstairs on Christmas morning...unwrapping your gift (that huge, pink Barbie Dreamhouse w/ outdoor jacuzzi and pool) and screaming...IT'S JUST WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED!!!!! Everyone in the delivery room were thrilled for us. We explained that we had 3 ultrasounds and they all said girl. The anesthesiologist was so excited to have witnessed this surprise and our delight....that he ran out to the waiting room and TOLD OUR FAMILIES!! Can you believe that? He told everyone (my mom...Chris' mom...it was the middle of the night...so everyone else had gone home) before Chris could get out there! Knucklehead! They didn't believe him at first...then they were thrilled! Mom called dad at home and told him. This man wanted a boy in the family soooooo bad. He thought she was just teasing him. To this day he will tell you that he didn't believe her until he came to the hospital and "checked" for himself!
Mom and Katy had a good time taking all the girl clothes back and getting some boy clothes. They did all this before I even got home from the hospital...it was nice. I came home and everything was BOY....except the Hannah Mary bib I had made. I hung it on his wall until he was a toddlar. I still have it somewhere...and anytime I see it I laugh...and remember the SHOCK AND EXCITEMENT of the day he was born. For the first few weeks of his life we called him Hannah sometimes...just out of habit. Too funny!
Now 11 years later I sit here. Mom to one girl and two boys. Nick is already as tall as me (that's not saying much)...his shoe size is one under his dads....he's smart....kind (to everyone except his brother :)...handsome...and well....he's.....Nick. My Nicky! Or as others refer to him....the Nickmeister...Nickelodeon....Tricky Nicky....dork (well that's just Lauren's little pet name for him:)....the Nickster....my big brown eyed boy! We all love you Nick...and wish you a very happy birthday!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nick! It sounds like you've got a lot of partying planned! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I remember the original birthday well. Karen and I just knew the Anethesiologist was pulling our leg ... he was that kind of guy. Side story ... we knew we were going to like this guy ... he walked in the room singing "He Lives" (it was the week after Easter).

Anyway ... Happy Birthday Nick. Light of our life. We love you soooo much!!!

The Yanceys said...

That is so awesome!!!

Isn't it great to look back and reflect on that time.

Birthdays really bring us back there.

Happy Birthday Nick!!!

and Happy Birth Day Mom and Dad!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nick!!!

I remember when the Anestheiologist came into the waiting room. He said I understand this will be a surprise to you. . . (my first thought was that it was twins). I was REALLY surprised (pleasantly) when he said the baby was a BOY!!

Anonymous said...

Twins would have been cool ... imagine that ... Nick in stereo :)