Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Adventures of Flab Man and Slobbin

By Chris

Tonight's dinner was rather unusual as about 20 of us went to a reportedly popular Atlanta destination where you have dinner and an interactive mystery - comedy play. The production tonight was called: Adventures of Flab Man and Slobbin. It was bizaare. The main characters were fat versions of Batman and Robin intent on solving a murder in Gotham, Georgia. You eat between the acts. There are only two actors, but the crowd plays several roles too.

As we arrived, the lady at the door says, "are you Chris?" I was shown to a very specific seat, and given a yellow sheet of paper that says: "Welcome to Adventures of Flab Man and Slobbin. Your are Grit McDirt, owner of a dirt farm in Gotham City, GA. " Then, there were some stage directions that gave me a cue line from the actors, then stated: STAND AND SAY EXCITEDLY: "Yahooo!!!! Well, dust off my boots!!!! this seems too good to be true!" Serveral more lines followed, interacting with the actors. In my last set of lines, I actually had to say "You bet your burlap bra strap!!" I tried to do it up, sothern accent and all, figuring that shying away from the task would bring more ridicule. Many of the 20 in the group report to me, and they let out a pretty good laugh when I jumped up with that first Yahoo!, it was so absurd and funny in a strange way.

So, the play goes on. Lots of people have parts. Some had to sing. All the while the main characters are trying to solve the murders. Then, before the last act, I'm handed another yellow sheet of paper that says: DON'T SHOW THIS TO ANYONE!!

Then it says: "SURPRISE! You are the killer! We need your help one more time. . . " Followed by more stage directions and cues, where I have to interact in a very silly dialogue for the whole restaurant again with Flabman and Slobin (at one point actually having to say "Her seed plus my dirt farm equals lots of Tater Tots!", ending with these instructions for my last line:

BEGIN TO CRY

"What have I done? What have I done?!!

SIT DOWN AND CRY LOUDLY INTO YOUR NAPKIN.

So, I did it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I could have seen that. It's hard to imagine you talking like that and crying loudly into your napkin. Could you do an encore for us?

It sounds like it was alot of fun, and I'll bet it was especially so for the people who report to you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chris, I now know I will never never go to a place that has murder plays.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Karen said! I can't wait for the encore!! Pleeeeease ... for dear ole Mom and Mom in law.

The Yanceys said...

I have to admit, as one of the people in attendance, it truly was hysterical. Chris did a great job.

But I will second Chris's statement that the whole thing was bizarre.